Notice of Privacy Practices
Last Updated: May 1st, 2016
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc. (“Leatherman,” “we,” “our,” or “us”) recognizes that you care about how information about you is used and shared and respects your privacy. This notice of privacy practices (“Notice”) informs you of how information is collected on and through this Leatherman website, located at http://www.leatherman.ca (the “Website”), how we may use the information and with whom we may share it. This Notice also describes (i) the measures we take to safeguard the information we collect and (ii) your rights concerning our collection, use and disclosure of information about you. Information collected on or through this Website may be collected by Leatherman or by third-party service providers acting on our behalf.
Updates to this Notice. We may update this Notice to provide clarification or notice of changes to our practices from time to time. If we make changes, we will revise the “Last Updated” legend at the top of this Notice. Any material changes to this Notice will be posted on the Website and we encourage you to check back from time to time to ensure continuing familiarity with the most current version of the Notice.
General Audience Website. Services offered by Leatherman are not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13). Leatherman does not knowingly collect personal information (as defined below) from individuals under thirteen (13) years of age. No information should be submitted to or posted to the Website by visitors younger than thirteen (13) years old.
Information We Collect
Personal Information is information about an identifiable individual. We collect personal information, such as name, billing address, shipping address, telephone number, email address, birthdate, payment information (including payment card number or online payment service number) and related information. We may also collect personal information in connection with orders placed over the telephone or calls to customer support. The personal information you provide will vary based upon the context. Much of the Website is accessible without providing any personal information. However, in order to set up an account, place an order or to take advantage of certain features of the Website, such as product registration or to sign up for newsletters, we may require that you furnish personal information. If you do not provide your personal information, you will not be able to use these areas or features of the Website.
From time to time, we may give you the opportunity to participate in online surveys, promotions, contests and sweepstakes or to subscribe to newsletters and other offerings through the Website. If you participate in these activities or offerings made available through the Website, we will request certain information from you. By providing your personal information to us, you grant us permission to use this information consistent with this Notice. With your consent, we may also use this information to contact you about selected products, services, and events and to provide to you other information we think may interest you. Your provision of requested personal information to us through the Website or other means is presumed by us to be voluntary and with your consent to the uses described in this Notice.
In addition, you may provide information about another person on or through this Website. For example, you must provide information about another person when you request that we ship an order to another person. If you provide information about a person other than yourself, you represent and warrant that you are authorized by that person to provide their information to us for the purposes for which you provided it.
Information Collected Automatically
When you visit the Website, certain information regarding use of the Website or the services is collected and/or aggregated by or on behalf of Leatherman through the use of automated means. The information collected automatically may include information about your visit to, and use of, the Website, such as your IP address, type of browser and operating system used, date and time you access the Website, pages you visit, search engine used to access the Website, and if you linked to the Website from another website, the address of that website. Like many other websites, we may collect information using cookies, web beacons, pixel tags and related technologies. “Cookies” are small identifiers sent from a web server that are stored on a computer’s hard drive for the purpose of identifying the browser during interaction on websites or storing information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon,” also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages to web servers and their cookies and may be used to transmit information collected through cookies back to a web server.
We may also allow certain third-party analytics providers to include cookies and web beacons within the pages of the Website to collect information regarding how visitors use the Website and the effectiveness of the Website to help us improve and optimize the Website and products and services we offer.
Please also see the “Advertising Networks” section below, which describes how information may be collected and used by advertising networks for targeted advertising purposes.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser’s setting to decline cookies if you prefer. You may also render some web beacons unusable by rejecting their associated cookies. If you choose to decline cookies, certain features of the Website may not function properly or at all as a result.
How We May Use the Information We Collect. We use the personal information we collect for the following purposes:
- for our business purposes, such as establishing and managing your customer account, providing products and services you request (such as processing and shipping orders and sending order and shipping confirmations), processing and collecting payments and providing customer support, and to send you important administrative communications regarding the Website;
- depending on your marketing preferences, to offer our products or services and/or the products or services of others to you, or to communicate with you about special events, programs, surveys, contests, sweepstakes, and other offers or promotions;
- to administer your participation in, special events, programs, surveys, contests, sweepstakes, and other offers or promotions;
- to evaluate and improve our business, including developing new products and services and analyzing the effectiveness of products, services, and the Website;
- to perform data analyses, including market and consumer search, trend analysis, demographic analysis, and financial analysis; and
- to comply with applicable legal requirements, to enforce our policies and terms of service and to protect the Website and its users.
We use information collected through automated means for purposes such as: (1) customizing visits to the Website based on observable user preferences and actions; (2) delivering content (including advertising) correlating to our users’ interests based on the ways in which our users interact with the Website, third party websites and advertisements; (3) to perform data analyses, including market and consumer search, trend analysis, demographic analysis, and financial analysis; (4) diagnosing technical and service problems; and (5) administering the Website.
Information We Share. We may share your personal information with third parties in the following ways:
- Service Providers. We may engage third parties (including Affiliates acting in this capacity) to provide certain services on our behalf including website development, order fulfillment, payment processing and collection, website hosting, data storage, administration of surveys, sweepstakes, contests or other promotions, and e-mail administration. We use a third-party service provider to send emails and newsletters to users and customers. We use a third party service provider to operate surveys and product evaluations and to collect information on our behalf in connection with those surveys. In all such cases, we require our service providers to maintain your personal information as confidential and to use the information only to perform the services specified by us in a manner consistent with this Notice. Some of our service providers are located outside of Canada, including in the United States, and as a result, your personal information may be processed and stored outside of Canada. Reasonable contractual or other measures we may take to protect your personal information while processed or handled by these service providers are subject to applicable Canadian and foreign legal requirements, for example lawful requirements to disclose personal information to government or national security authorities in certain circumstances.
- Other. We may disclose information, including personal information, to: (i) protect or defend our interests and the legal rights or property of Leatherman and our Affiliates; (ii) protect the rights, interest and safety and security of users of our website or members of the public; (iii) protect against fraud or for risk management purposes; or (iv) comply with prudent legal practice as we may determine, applicable law or legal process. In addition, if we sell all or substantially all of our business, or sell or transfer all or a material part of our assets, or are otherwise involved in a merger or transfer of all or a material part of our business (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings), we may transfer all information we have collected and stored, including your personal information, to the party or parties involved in the transaction as part of that transaction.
We may sell or share non-personally identifiable data, including anonymized data derived from personal information collected from the Website, with third parties, including our Affiliates, dealers, marketing businesses and lead generation businesses, for any purpose.
Advertising Networks. We may work with advertising networks that deliver targeted advertisements to consumers and generate statistics and metrics related to the delivery of such advertisements. Advertising networks collect information about the websites that you visit and the advertisements that you interact with using tools such as cookies, web server logs and web beacons. This information is used to serve you targeted ads based on your inferred interests and preferences as well as for auditing, research and reporting to us, our Affiliates and other advertisers. This data collection takes place both on this Website and on third-party websites that participate in the advertising networks. While we do not provide any personal information to advertising networks, when you visit websites or view or interact with an advertisement, the possibility exists that the advertiser will make the assumption that you are interested in the subject matter of the advertisements.
Many companies that collect information for targeted advertising are members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”). NAI offers the ability for you to opt-out of the targeted advertising programs of their members by going to http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp or http://www.aboutads.info/choices. Please note that if you use a different computer, change your web browser, or delete your cookies, you will need to renew all of your opt-out choices.
Please also note that this does not opt you out of being served advertising but only excludes you from targeted (i.e. interest-based) advertising. If you use the Leatherman website or Affiliate websites, you will continue to receive generic advertisements.
Your Choices. You may withdraw your consent to our collection, use and disclosure of personal information at any time, subject to contractual and legal restrictions and reasonable notice. Note that if you withdraw your consent to certain uses of your personal information, we may no longer be able to provide certain of our products or services.
You may choose not to receive marketing email communications from us by clicking on the unsubscribe link in our marketing emails, adjusting your email preferences via the hyperlink provided on the “My Account” page on the Website, or contacting us as specified in the “How to Contact Us” section below. You may still receive service oriented, administrative communications from us as you cannot opt-out of receiving such administrative communications.
Accessing and Modifying Your Personal Information. Subject to applicable law, you may obtain access to the personal information we maintain about you or update or correct inaccuracies in that information through the “My Account” page on the Website or by contacting us in writing as specified in the “How to Contact Us” section below.
Data Retention and Security. The file containing your personal information will be maintained on our servers or those of our service providers and will be accessible by authorized employees, representatives and service providers who require access in connection with their job responsibilities. We maintain physical, administrative and technical security measures designed to safeguard personal information in our possession or control against unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification. For example, Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology is used to encrypt your payment card information. Despite these measures, we cannot guarantee the security of networks, servers and databases we operate or that are operated on our behalf or that the information you transmit to Leatherman over the Internet will not be intercepted, deleted or altered.
We reserve the right to retain any personal information reasonably necessary to document our business activities and for archival and record retention purposes.
How to Contact Us. If you have any questions or comments about this Notice, would like to request access to or correction of your personal information, or would like to change your communication preferences, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (800) 847-8665 and ask to speak with our Privacy Officer.
You also may write to us at:
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 20595
Portland, OR 97294